Sunday, September 12, 2010

It's The Coffee

Yesterday I had the most delicious lunch with the greatest group of people. First, the hostess and host, who are warm, inviting, and know just what I like to eat (yes, cherry chocolate chip soy ice cream).

Then there was the conversation. My host's mother, who off-handedly told me a few months ago that she had seen Sandy Koufax pitch let slip that President Ford gave her a medal of excellence for leading the boy scouts. If it weren't 2010, I'd say Moshe Rabbeinu learned how to be humble from her.

When my host asked if I wanted tea, I said I'd prefer coffee. Now, when I make coffee at home, I seep it through a cone and it always seems a little weak. But this time, with instant, I think I added a bit too much coffee to the hot water and what I thought was honey turned out to be maple syrup. After a few sips, I was flying.

Down at the other end of the table I sat next to my dear friend Debbie, and embolden by the caffeine, I whispered a dirty joke in her ear. "Why do Jewish women like circumcised men? Because they prefer anything that's 20% off." Mass giggling followed, which had everyone wondering what was going on.

Turns out, a lot of people think circumcision (bris milah) is funny, so when I mentioned it was a bris joke, we somehow got on the subject of people who need a re-bris, (like Colonel Qaddafi of Libya with an alleged Jewish mother). I don't know where the 80s disco song "Don't stop 'til you get enough" came from but I next thing I knew I was singing it and offering up the option of "disco bris!" Now everyone was laughing.

Upon reflection, most people I know get kinda crazy when they drink alcohol. For me, it's the coffee that does it. Definitely as much fun and easier on the liver.

No comments:

Post a Comment