Friday, September 17, 2010

Helping A Friend

I got a phone call the other day from a friend who is unemployed. "Come on over," she said. "I'll make lunch and we'll talk about some ideas I have."

I passed on lunch, but I did show up to talk about her ideas. Her ideas, in a nutshell, were this: "Nana, what should I do?"

Well, I'm pretty good at telling people where to go, but not necessarily what to do. Especially someone who is older in what can be considered, in California, a lousy job market. So I got her to call Jewish Family Services to speak to a career counselor, and sign up for any other services they had. Then I suggested a public library card.

Why a library card? Because the public library is a clean, quiet place to sit and relax, read a book or magazine, borrow books and movies and generally chill out.

When we got there, right away she honed in on the architecture, pointing out the rounded mouldings, light fixtures and airy, light-filtered layout. I hadn't even noticed lights before - just took for granted they were on because I could see.

I recommended two very funny movies and she checked them out. Why be sad when there's nothing you can do about it? Laugh a little. Do your part, and Hashem will do the rest. I hope and pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment