Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Passing A Test

Today I gave my 12th grade physiology students their first end-of-chapter test. I made it clear that any talking at all, even to say, "oh, I dropped my pencil" would be considered cheating, earning the recipient of an F a trip to the Principal's office.

They still talked. I just didn't have the heart to give an F to these girls, especially since I felt some would earn one on their own anyway. What's it gonna take to get these girls to shut up?

However, tonight, when I graded the tests, I was pleasantly surprised to see that 11 of the 20 girls got an A, 5 got a B, 3 got a C and 1 got a D. I'm worried about the D, but figure we have another 8 months to get this gal up to speed.

Perhaps the test was easy, and I should hold off reviewing the material beforehand. But I want these girls to do well. I want them to be encouraged that they can do well. And frankly, I'm too lazy to give homework that I would need to grade in addition to what I am doing already.

I am currently taking 4 classes at CSULA, and it takes me hours to prepare the lectures and the tests for this high school class. I don't have the strength to do more.

As my mother-in-law says, "G-d should help you." She means me. And I mean me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment