Friday, October 15, 2010

Be Prepared

The longest day of my life lasted twenty minutes today, as a school-hired observer sat in my class to observe me. Completely unaware that he was coming today, and assuming that my high school girls would talk away the 45 minutes I get to teach them physiology, I under-prepared. But with the observer sitting there, and the class was deathly quiet, I had to improvise.

Nervous as I was, I knew I had to stall. I was being observed for teaching style, and style it was. I over-explained, lengthened, elaborated on every point, had the girls read the slides out loud. You name it.

When the observer left after 20 minutes and the girls went back to being themselves, I could finally breath a sign of relief. Funny thing is, the observer liked my teaching style, was shocked to learn I had never taught before. He offered just a few, amazingly incredible suggestions that I totally plan to implement.

So what does it all mean? It means, be prepared. Don't assume the status quo will continue. Don't take for granted that things will always be the way you expect it to be.

During and after this experience, all I could do was thank G-d that things went as well as they did. The world always seems a lot better with Him in my corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment