Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Not Quite With IT

Boy, do I feel stupid. And when I went to the doctor today, it was confirmed. I am stupid.

I mean, a person my age and weight (which I will not reveal) should not go about starting an exercise program like a 20-year old. Seriously. That only leads to trouble.

Trouble, that is, in the form of a damaged IT (Iliotibial) Band. Love the name. Hate the pain.

Here's what I found out about IT:

the iliotibial tract or iliotibial band is a longitudinal fibrous reinforcement of the fascia lata. It is attached to the anterolateral iliac tubercle portion of the external lip of the iliac crest and to the lateral condyle of the tibia.

Yeah, right. Whatever. IT Band Syndrome (ITBS) appears to be the most common injury to active people. In this case, stupid active people like me. For the time being, there's only one way to deal with it, and it's totally low buck. You guessed it, ice. That all changes with physical therapy, which should begin shortly.

For now, I can ride a bike, walk, swim, sit down. If it doesn't hurt doing it, then it's okay. Feet, you're all that's left. Don't fail me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment