Monday, November 22, 2010

My Mutual Kingdom

My son came home the other day with a DVD of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. One of his rebbes (teachers) is a nature freak, and I should be grateful: at least he didn't bring home a baby chicken or long dead animal.

When I saw the DVD, I was suddenly 10 years old again, it was Sunday night, 7 pm and dinner time meant we could only watch one thing. That's right - Wild Kingdom.

We watched that show as a family for years. It got to the point where I zoned out. But I do remember Marlin Perkins, the wild critters and the self-serving Mutual of Omaha commercials. I mean, is it possible to have enough insurance? Only M of O knew for sure.

As I got older, I realized that Wild Kingdom was up against Disney, and we never watched Disney. It never occurred to me to ask my father why. Later, as an older adult, I realized the Walt was an anti-Semite, much like most non-Jews of his time. Perhaps that was the reason.

Perhaps it was due to dad being a city boy, born and raised, who really appreciated the natural world. Doesn't matter. I've seen plenty of Disney since. Ah, the memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment