Sunday, January 31, 2010

Taking The Canyon

In LA, when you tell someone you're taking the canyon, it's means you're driving over Laurel, Topanga, or Coldwater Canyons, which connect the city to the San Fernando Valley. But today I took the canyon and I didn't need my car once I got there. That's because I joined thousands of other people and even more dogs on a Sunday trek of Runyon Canyon.

It's the city's gift to its citizens, with miles of dirt trails, hills, and switchbacks, complete with a 180-degree panoramic view of the metropolis spread out below. The weather was amazing - not to hot, not too sunny. Plenty of guys without shirts and girls in spandex. Plenty of friendly people too.

I'm ashamed to admit I've lived here this long without hiking up Runyon, despite the fact that all my friends have. There's even a group of women who start out at 5 am to watch the sunrise and daven to Hashem up there. Now I know why.

Today, I feel like one of those people who tasted a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for the first time at age 35. No wonder - I am that person. I suppose I'm just too focused on my interests to try something before I'm ready.

Runyon Canyon is now an interest and I'm definitely ready. If you live in Los Angeles, and you're like me, don't wait to taste a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. And don't wait to take the canyon.
Photo by Mendel Stark.

1 comment:

  1. I love that hike!! It's really nice to take visitors to LA there because you can see EVERYTHING.

    -Abigail Gooding

    ReplyDelete