Monday, January 18, 2010

A Calm Settles

I went out tonight around 6:45 pm and came back an hour later. The house was quiet. Uh-oh, I thought. I walked into the wrong house. How embarrassing.

But I was in the right house. It's just of all my children, the one who is most aggressive, loud, abrasive and argumentative was no where in sight.

I thought maybe he had been abducted by space aliens. It's been that kind of day. So I asked the children closest to me where their brother was. "Don't know," they replied. Yup, space aliens had him.

About 30 minutes later, when I was rounding up laundry to wash, I found him. He was in bed. Reading. He's on the second book of the Eragon series, after finishing the Percy Jackson series just two weeks ago. What every parent prays for has finally happened - my child has found enjoyment in reading books. A calm has settled over the house.

I know it's temporary. Tomorrow morning, he'll wake up ready to take on the world, starting with his younger siblings. But right now, the Holy One has blessed him with the joy of bringing a story to life in his mind. And right now, He's blessed the rest of us with peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment