Friday, January 8, 2010

The People You Meet

For the past three months, I've been volunteering at a place called Project Angel Food, a local charity that provides food (door to door delivery) for people with both chronic and acute illnesses - free of charge. My duties have ranged from preparing, from scratch, roasted chicken for a hundred, complete with spices, working a food line (filling trays or making sandwiches), to doubling plastic bags for food packing.

Over the course of this time, I have met the most interesting people, including actors, agents, retired folks, and one group from a broadcasting company. Their stories are fascinating, and I've bonded with nearly everyone I've worked with on my two-hour shifts. It never ceases to amaze me how much we all have in common. Today, Matt and I filled up small plastic containers with corn flakes (for future breakfast deliveries) and spoke about traveling to Europe, then and now. He went last year, I went 35 years ago. Or going to Cabo San Lucas. Matt loves it there, but has always flown down. I love it there, but have only driven the Baja Pennisula to get there.

In the normal course of our lives, chances are Matt and I would never have met. But here, helping other people, our lives intersected. Doesn't that sound about right!

To learn more about Project Angel Food, go to their website: www.angelfood.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment