Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Holding On To You

Right now, I should be (1) writing my presentation, which is due in a few hours and I've barely started; (2) reviewing my lab report, due even sooner and written, I promise, in my sleep. Truth is, I can't. My heart is breaking and the tears are flowing.

You see, my dear friend Elisabeth is standing watch at the bedside of her dear mother, struck down by a massive stroke on Sunday, just hours after gastric bypass surgery (see: Reading the Fine Print). But what is so painful to me is knowing that I can't help the person I love - in this case Elisabeth - get through one of the most traumatic experiences of her young life. I know. I've been there.

So with all my heart and all my tears, I'm sending you my love and my prayers, Elisheva bat Devorah. Thank you G-d, for giving me the great honor of having spoken, and hopefully given comfort, to your wonderful mother, Devorah bat Marsha, on Friday. I will cherish those few moments we had, just as I cherish our precious friendship. Please, remember, while there is life there is hope. Miracles come in the blink of an eye. Hold on to mother and don't let go, just like I'm holding on to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment