Sunday, May 1, 2011

Rock And Roll I Don't Like

Yesterday, Shabbat, a friend came up to me and whispered, "are your sons planning on starting a rock group?"

Now, most mothers might get excited at the prospect of their sons entering the limelight, showcasing their talent, being popular. But not me. The thought sent a cold chill down my spine.

This is due, in part, to the fact that we have had a rash of deaths among our youth as of late. In the last six months, we've lost three young men: a 22-year old, recently engaged, drowned Erev Shabbat in a diving accident; a 23-year old overdosed; and just a few days ago, a 37 year old father of four was found dead not long after Moshiach Seudah - the final matzoh and wine bash before Passover ends.

So imagine my feelings when I hear "rock group" and my sons in the same breath. Please, boys, play your guitars, hang out with friends, but be careful about the rock world. It's harsh and not very forgiving. I did not train you for that. Making kiddish Friday night, davening with a minyan, loving babies - yeah, I'll take credit for that.

Good thing we don't know the future. No point freaking out early. For now, I'll just yoga breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment