Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Riding the Sad Rails

Usually I leave class early, which is 8:30 pm, but having missed so many classes due to Passover, I decided to stick it out. That meant leaving class at 9:20 pm, riding my bike to the bus stop, and waiting another 40 minutes for a bus.

If that wasn't bad enough, when I finally did get to the subway, I waited another 30 minutes for that. But you know what, that wasn't really the problem.

The problem was a short, skinny Asian kid who looked like he was 12 years old spouting off all kinds of negative stuff. Like, the government is corrupt, the Army is corrupt, guns should be illegal, non-stop. What is it with me and non-stop subway riding talkers?

So I tried to calm this little squirt down, told him to yoga breathe, etc. He smiled, then went right back into it. Repeating the same crap over and over.

My seat mate, an tired black woman, told me the kid is right. I said no. Yeah, but he has the right to free speech. I counter that he's too negative, and someone that negative at such a young age is mentally ill. Then the young man across the way took his earphone out and chimed in: he has the right to his opinion.

I smiled, and told him that the world is not only negative. There are good things going on, good things happening. If you focus on the negative, you are wrong. Think good, and it will be good.

I don't think I convinced anyway, not with the subway being held up 10 minutes at Hollywood and Western Boulevards. It was late. Everyone was tired. But is that an excuse to be sad?

Come on people, be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment