Thursday, January 5, 2012

Getting the Message Loud And Clear

Despite the fact that the academic quarter doesn't  begin until next week, my preceptor-to-be insisted that I meet her for training today.  I can't say I was happy about that - today is a fast day, Aseres B'Teves, commemorating the beginning of the siege of Jerusalem by the Babylonians that ended with the destruction of the 1st Jewish Temple.

For Jews, the siege is taking place right now, even if it really happened 2500 years ago.  We live our history daily, happy or sad.

So I got on the bus, switched to the train and showed up for "work" just before the appointed hour.  But guess who wasn't there?

That's right - my preceptor-to-be.  She was sick and couldn't get to work today.  She gave me permission to stay half day.  I helped with the food distribution and loved it, and the staff sent me home at noon.

I did not want to be there, and G-d heard me.  If my preceptor had shown up, it would have meant a full day, which I was not physically or mentally prepared for.  Fasting really messes me up.

When I got home, I checked that all the kids were okay (fast day means half day at school) and literally fell into bed.  I slept nearly 3 hours, and woke up refreshed and ready to eat.  Which I will do soon.

Thank you G-d, for making a really weird day workable.  I can tell I still have issues to iron out with the preceptor (Friday is a big day for them, a really short day for me), but since I take everything as a sign, I'm sure these issues will work out just fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment