Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Down Home Cooking

I pride myself on few things, none of which have anything to do with cooking.  So when my preceptor asked me to put on a cooking demonstration, I thought, well, how hard could that be?

I haven't even gotten to the demonstration part and it's already hard.  I thought I would be smart and make the dish before hand - Vegetarian Tortilla Soup.  I threw it together on Monday and really liked it.  It's the perfect thing for someone with few cooking skills to make.  Basically, you BUY vegetable broth and add stuff to it.  Then boil it.

Today, my preceptor mentioned in passing that I would have to make the soup tonight and bring it tomorrow, along with my crock pot and the ingredients to display for the cooking class.  Excuse me?  After a long, hard day of trying to figure out what the heck she's talking about in general, now I have to make a soup and schlep it to the site of the cooking class?!

I hope you can imagine my excitement at this turn of events.  Yes, I smiled.  Yes, I told her how I'll have to bring all the other utensils since I keep kosher.  And yes I wanted to go into the hallway and scream.

I'm on site at 8:30 am and leave about 4:45 pm.  I think my day is done when I get home and eat dinner.  I should be able to relax, read a book, surf the web, work on my thesis.  You know, chill out.

Okay, three more weeks.  Three more weeks and I get a little down time.  Not that I want to take it easy, but I would like to set up boundaries between my life and my internship.

Alright, I feel better now.  Can't wait until tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment