Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Rain

Okay, I admit it. I hate the rain. Mostly, because I can't stay home, in bed, with a hot drink and a good book. I have to go out in the stuff. And it is messy.

Take today, for example. I had a meeting this morning, which I dreaded, because the weather predictors said that today a massive storm was coming in, a real killer. Inches of rain in one hour. I was practically crying when I got ready to leave the house.

But when I left, it wasn't raining. It wasn't raining when my meeting was over, either. I thought to myself, G-d loves me. He knows I hate driving in the rain and it's not raining.

Unfortunately, G-d changed his mind. Because later today, when I went to the lovely city of Silver Lake to pick up a video for my Physiology class, I can only describe the rain coming down as a hose pointed directly at and on my car. The puddles were so deep I thought small dogs, all the rage in this town, would surely be lost in them and drown.

Great pools of water had concentrated in every intersection and gutter in the city, but when I picked my son up from school at 3:45 pm, the end was in sight. We ran to the local library to pick up reading material and then we saw it: a beautiful rainbow. G-d's gift to us all. We both made the appropriate blessing, and I called home for my eldest to run outside and make a blessing.

I spoke to friends and family when I got home and we all made the blessing. Obviously, Hashem needs to hear us more. I guess if it's disasters that really gets the conversation going, I'd chose rain. Only good can come from it, after we all dry out.

No comments:

Post a Comment