Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Swing Time

I know I write about bus riding a lot, but that's because I spend a lot of time on the bus.  Like last night.

Oh my gosh, the bus was jammed.  Standing room only, and the bell alerting the bus driver that a stop had been requested was broken.  So suddenly, up jumps this young black woman from her seat, screaming at the bus driver to stop the bus.  It was shocking, all of us packed in and then the screaming.

Well, this bus driver wasn't backing down an inch.  She was screaming right back, and those two were going at it.  The profanity was hair raising, and you could hear people quietly encouraging the young woman to get off.  

Well, I was really taken aback.  I mean, it's not an easy job to drive a bus, and here this woman was getting berated.  On the other hand, she didn't apologize and she didn't stop the bus right away.  She continued on, even though the young woman had demanded she stop.

Needless to say, I felt sorry for the driver.  But when my turn came to get off, the driver didn't stop either.  I yelled out to stop the bus, and the driver's response was something like, what's so bad about getting off across the street (from the stop).  I mean, hello.  Do your job.

I walked home thinking about what happened and what G-d wanted me to learn.  But all I could really think about was how I wished that young lady had taken a swing at the driver.  Somehow, I don't think that was G-d's message.  Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment