Monday, February 21, 2011

How To Waste Two Hours

Some time back a friend of ours gave us a VHS copy of "How To Marry A Millionaire." Our VHS didn't work, so we tossed the movie in a box and moved on with our lives.

Well, guess who's got a working VHS? So last night, I stumbled, literally (Pesach cleaning is gonna change that) on the movie and decided to watch it. Imagine, 52 years on planet Earth and I've never seen Marilyn Monroe, Betty Grable and Lauren Bacall act so bad you could spit. Talk about frustrating.

Maybe people in the 1950s didn't care about film editing, or quality, because I found this classic to be obnoxious. Hello - what's with the 2 minute freeze frame on airplane propellers in the scene soon followed by Marilyn and Burgess Meridith on the plane? Oy vey - what a waste of celluloid.

Let me guess - William Powell was either desperate for money or blackmailed into starring in this bomb. Okay, I sound angrier than I really am. The clothes were amazing, and while the storyline was stupid, it was enjoyable to see certain actors when they were young. Frankly, Marilyn Monroe was pretty funny.

But the next time I feel like wasting my life - it won't be watching some stupid movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment