Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Headache!

There's a scene in the movie "12 Chairs" where Mel Brooks' character, suddenly screams out "headache!" Well, that was me today.

I recently found out that I have a blood condition called thrombocythemia, where my body produces too many platlets. It also produces too many migraines as well. I take baby aspirin everyday, and that literally cuts my migraines from daily (or twice daily), to once every 4 months.

Today, my migraine was a doozy. In fact, it didn't stop, so I had to climb into bed at 3:30 pm and lay there, eyes closed, until nearly 7:30 pm. Four hours lost to homework, children, husband and a bar mitzvah. I was devastated.

And scared. I thought my head would explode, and of course, thoughts turn to brain tumor. But I realize that there's another reason for my pain. Stress. Teaching 12th grade high school girls physiology is literally killing me. Or less dramatically, giving me headaches.

So I have two choices: either I de-stress myself or I quit. Food for thought. Which reminds me, the last time I ate was 8 hours ago and I'm starving! Feeling better already.

No comments:

Post a Comment