Sunday, February 12, 2012

Talking To Matti

Finally this morning, after over a month in Israel, I spoke to my son Matti by phone.  I know it sounds strange.  I mean, what's the big deal?  What's so hard about talking to someone on the phone?  It's hard when the person you want to talk to doesn't want to be talked to.

Okay, that doesn't really make sense.  Just know that my 18-year old son is very independent.  I realize the goal of most parents  is to raise children who are self-sufficient and able to take care of themselves, but heck, what happened here?  My boy doesn't even feel the need to call me.

So I overcame my inhibitions about calling him - mainly that he would hang up on me - and spoke to him this morning.  Actually, I called last night, which was very early this morning in Israel, so I felt bad and hung up.  We had a very nice 30 minute talk about things, and believe me, I don't know anything more about him now than I did before I called.

Oh well.  Unconditional love.  That's my lot in life.  I've got to respect my son's privacy.  Deep breathe, exhale.

No comments:

Post a Comment