Sunday, June 13, 2010

Reading That Novel

I promised myself that once school was over, I was going to read a novel. At the first opportunity, I ran to the library. I say first opportunity because the threat of Los Angeles county's impending bankruptcy has reduced city services. No, not the fire department or the police, thank G-d. But yes, the library hours have been cut.

Usually, I queue up to the "New" books shelve to see that strikes my fancy. I like thrillers, mysteries, action books. Then I saw it.

Entitled, The Locust and the Bird: My Mother's Story, by Hanan Al-Shaykh, it is, as advertised, her mother's story. Born and raised in 1930s Lebanon, Kamila struggled against being married at 14 to a much older former brother-in-law (husband of her departed sister), and love for another, much younger man named Mohammad.

Frankly, I couldn't put the book down. I'm ashamed to admit that I rushed through my Shabbat Tehilim reading (the entire book) so I could read this book. Finished it about 1:30 am this morning.

It was an engrossing and fascinating peek into the Muslim world and the fate of women in it. It was positive and upbeat, but filled with obvious sorrow that I found myself sighing at each setback. I enjoyed the book immensely. Recommend to all those who would like a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment