Friday, April 16, 2010

Decision Making For Dummies


It's been a long, hectic week at school. It doesn't take long before assignments get away from you, and the stress comes in deciding how to use time wisely. For example, I debated for days about whether I should attend a child obesity conference at USC this Friday.

The conference is slated for 9 am to 5 pm, and I'm way behind on my reading and note taking. All my friends advised not going. My lab instructor ordered me not to go, in the hopes I wouldn't be so cranky next week. And I felt that going would take valuable time away from relaxation, as Friday is my only day off.

So at 6:30 am this morning, I decided to abort attendance. I'm staying home. But I still had this nagging feeling that I was making a mistake. After all, I hadn't cancelled and maybe the organizers would be mad at me for taking a spot and not showing up. I kept thinking about this possibility all the way to my car as I prepared for carpool.

Low and behold, the car would not start. The battery was dead, as in sleeps with the fishes dead. I know I should have been sad (it means saying goodbye to $100 for a replacement), but I was relieved. I had made the right decision, and as proof, the decision was made for me.

What a relief. Always good to be reminded that G-d rules!

2 comments:

  1. Did you have to replace the battery? Couldn't you just jump start the engine with jumper cables?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No baby. Like "they" say, nothing lasts forever and "they" were definitely talking about batteries. Just an FYI. File that away for future reference. But I look at it this way: just another opportunity to meet nice people.

    ReplyDelete