Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Just Some Thoughts

As I've mentioned before, at first, I was a bit afraid of working in a psychiatric hospital.  I've seen the patients get unhinged, seen them given "cocktails" to calm them down, and found myself actually asked to move out of the way of staff to get to patients who were acting up.

But my heart goes out to one patient in particular, who I obviously cannot name.  I will say that he is young, and has become mentally disabled through a horrendous car accident that claimed the life of his mother.  The young man cannot stand still, and constantly moves about the facility.  But there is such a sweetness to him, and gentleness, and I have had occasion to speak to him since he is not eating well and is losing weight.

At first, he wouldn't take the Ensure supplements, but I talked him into it.  He's asked for burritos, and in turn I've asked the kitchen staff to make it for him.  So today, after I spoke to him, he reached out and shook my hand.  When I went to leave, he came up to me and shook my hand again.  I wanted to cry.

Usually I write my posts when I'm happy, or excited, or even outraged.  But it's hard for me to write when I'm sad.  This young man, he makes me sad.  But the problem is me, because there's nothing he can do for himself.  I have to smile more, laugh more, be kinder.  In fact, I'll start right now.  As Mr. Rogers used to say, "won't you join me?"

No comments:

Post a Comment