Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Fried Foods and Other Thoughts

It's Chanukah time, a happy time, when we tend to eat either a lot of food, or the wrong food, or both.  Count me in.

At my advanced age (5 decades and counting), I realize I really have to watch what I eat, take care to count calories, and drink plenty of water.  Well, I ate two jelly filled donuts yesterday and I'm crying for more!

It's ironic that I tell my patients to stay away from fried foods, and I even tell myself that as well.  But I have no idea just how many latkes I ate Monday night.  I know it was more than 10, including the ones that grew cold because we had to take a break from eating.

It's gonna take me a while to get back on track.  Start eating healthy, raw vegetables, smaller portions.  I guess it helps me relate to the people I counsel - it makes their struggle more real.  Not that it matters, but many of my patients are homeless, and fast food keeps them alive.  I understand that, and ask them to eat less of it.

Because fried foods taste so good, I know they can't give it up.  Because I can't give it up.  Oh, what the heck.  Like I tell them, do the best you can.  Everyday.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment