Monday, October 22, 2012

Starting a Stupid Club

Today was the first day of my new job as part-time clinical dietitian for a regional hospital.  Everything was going great until I realized that I hadn't had my second cup of coffee for the day and was asked to figure out the calories and protein intake for a patient on enteral nutrition.

Surprise - I got the calculations wrong.  I felt so stupid.  My boss just looked at me and told me not to worry, that it's going to take practice.  But stupid is as stupid does.  I decided that it was time to go home.  I had been there for 6 hours, and it was 5 pm.  I was tired, hungry, sleepy, and disappointed in myself.

This isn't the first time I've gotten those calculations wrong, and it's cost me one job already.  But I'm determined to figure it out and get it right every time.

Deep breath.  Exhale.  Keep moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment