Friday, September 14, 2012

Anne Frank Revisited

Like most people I know, I read "The Diary of Anne Frank" when I was about her age when she wrote it.  It was moving, and scary, and in the end, extremely sad.  I really wanted Anne to live, but felt she was right.  By all of us reading about her trials in the attic, she was still alive.

Now I've come to learn that before the book was translated into English, there was some controversy about it involving Meyer Levin, the author.  Seems he found the first edition in a Paris bookstore and wanted to bring it to America.  He had Otto Frank's permission, but what happened next is mired in controversy.

Levin's play, based on the book, was considered "too Jewish," and hence never went far.  But the script survives, and will be re-enacted between the September 15 and 18 (okay, if you're an observant Jew, you can listen to it Saturday night and Sunday!).  Here's the link.


No comments:

Post a Comment