Monday, January 21, 2013

A Day Of Tears

I woke up this morning feeling something was different.  Couldn't put my finger on it right away, but I was weepy from the moment I stepped out of bed.  What was going on?

I barely made it through breakfast, watching a short documentary on American pilots who fought for Israel in 1948 and just started bawling.  I mean, really, crying over American pilots?

When I got on the road to go to work, I realized it was Martin Luther King's birthday, a federal holiday that leaves the freeways wide open and a pleasure to traverse.  It's also the day my mother died, 9 years ago.  When I realized this, I let loose.

I know it sounds like I don't care, but when a Jew dies, it's the Jewish date that we remember and memorialize.  My mother passed away on the 25 of Teves, which fell out on the 7th of January this year and on MLK's birthday 9 years ago.  Each year it falls out on a different day.

Needless to say, I spent the rest of the day dashing back to my office to cry, and couldn't even summon up the strength to call my sister to see how she was doing.  No doubt it hit her hard as well.

I know there are a lot of bad things going on in the world right now, but 9 years is a long time to be without your mother.  And it makes me very sad.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Actually, I did call my sister last night to ask her how her day went, and she didn't even think about it. What a bizarre experience for me - must be all the medications I'm on!

    ReplyDelete