Sunday, July 8, 2012

Pulling Another Fast One

Today was the 18th of Tammuz, the day after the 17th of Tammuz, a fast day commemorating the beginning of the end of both Batei HaMikdash, the Holy Temples.  Centuries apart, both the Babylonians and the Romans laid siege to, and eventually destroying, Jewish-held Jerusalem. We're talking thousands of years ago, at precisely the same time of the year.  No coincidences here.

Since the only fast that must be held on Shabbat when it falls out on it is for Yom Kippur, the fast of the 17th of Tammuz was pushed off until today, Sunday.  Silly me, I tried to eat as much as I could yesterday, and only ended up sick last night.  But by mid-day today, I definitely wished I had eaten even more.  I was fading fast.

But I managed to make it to a Brit Milah (never been to a circumcision without loads of food!), and then took my children to a local open library to check out books.  I couldn't wait to get home and lay down.

We broke the fast on home-made lasagna and salad, and a bit of chai green tea.  Now begins the three weeks of mourning for the way it used to be, when the Jewish people had a commonwealth and Jerusalem with a Holy Temple, a place for all the world to connect to G-dliness.  May it happen speedily in our days.

No comments:

Post a Comment