Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Feeling Like A Third World Mama

I know I've talked about taking the bus before, sometimes waxing poetic, other times screaming my head off.  Well, today, I am screaming my head off.

I began the second set of 5 weeks for my internship not far from where the first set of 5 weeks were located.  So I know the buses and I know they run like molasses in January.  So that no one misses the point, they run really slow.

Before, during the first 5 weeks, I would wait at the bus stop forever, watching the express bus fly by at regular intervals while the regular line took it's sweet time showing up.  So I got smart.  Or so I thought.

I started walking to the express stop,  because, oh no, the  city of Los Angeles couldn't possibly put the two lines together at one stop.  What was I thinking?  And make it easier for the rest of us to get around?  Oh goodness no.

Tonight, of all nights, there was a bus meltdown going westward.  I counted 8 buses going eastbound before the one westbound showed up, and it was so crowded the driver only let about 25 of the more than 50 people waiting inside.  She said she was sorry, another bus was coming, and she wished us all a happy valentine's day.

The "bus coming" took 15 minutes to show up, and this time, everyone pushed in.  Which wasn't hard because the subway wasn't working so there weren't any riders converging from there to challenge us old timers.

You know, just when I think how wonderful it is to live in a "first world" country, the crummy bus system brings me back to reality.  It's hard to imagine that a city of 10 million people can't get it's buses running on time.  The state with the 17th largest economy in the world can't get it's citizens moving on mass transit.

Oh yeah.  What a great feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment